How to Remove the Starter Motor for a 1993 Hyundai Elantra
- 1). Use the jack to lift up the front of the Elantra and place the car on the jack stands. Double-check that the Elantra is secure on the jack stands prior to working underneath the car.
- 2). Disconnect the negative and positive terminals from the battery using the open-end wrench, removing the negative first, then the positive.
- 3). Slide under the Elantra and unbolt the engine cover on the underside of the vehicle using the 3/8-inch ratchet and socket. Remove it and place it out of the way.
- 4). Locate the starter motor, which is on the passenger side of the engine, connected to the transmission. Remove all wiring from the starter using the an open-end wrench or the ratchet, depending on clearance for tools.
- 5). Unbolt the starter using the 3/8-inch ratchet, extension and socket, being careful to hold it steady with one hand while undoing the last bolt. The starter is quite heavy.