How to Change an Ignition Switch in a 1972 GMC Jimmy
Removing the Ignition Switch
- 1). Disconnect the black ground battery cable using a wrench.
- 2). Insert the ignition key in the lock cylinder and turn the key to the "ACC" position.
Use an awl to release the ignition lock cylinder.old awl image by Stepanov from Fotolia.com
Push the cylinder-locking pin through the hole on the face of the cylinder lock using a scratch awl tool. At the same time, turn the key counter-clockwise until the lock cylinder is free. Then remove the lock cylinder form the steering column.
- 4). Unfasten the mounting nut from the ignition switch using a wrench or ratchet, ratchet extension and socket.
- 5). Unplug the ignition switch electrical connector.
- 6). Unplug the "theft-resistant" electrical connector from the ignition switch by unsnapping the locking tangs on the connector with a small standard screwdriver. Then pull the electrical connector.
Installing the Ignition Switch
- 1). Plug the theft-resistant electrical connector to the ignition switch by snapping the connector in place.
- 2). Plug in the ignition switch electrical connector.
- 3). Position the ignition switch in place and tighten the mounting nut using the wrench or ratchet, ratchet extension and socket.
- 4). Install the lock cylinder.
- 5). Reconnect the battery cable using the wrench.
- 6). Start the engine to make sure the ignition switch is operating properly.